Saturday, August 4, 2007

DEAR GOV. BLANCO,

Bear with me here because this is a long time coming...

A little background...

MY THOUGHTS OF KATRINA

A SENSITIVE SUBJECT

This response to the email that was sent on my behalf from the colorofchange.org petition.

Dear:

Your email to Governor Kathleen Blanco regarding the Jena Six case has been forwarded to me for a response.

Your input and concerns are vital as we make critical decisions to move this state forward. The Jena 6 case is a matter in the Judicial System and any defects must be addressed in that system with the appeals court. The State Constitution provides for three branches of state government - Legislative, Executive, and Judicial - and the Constitution prohibits anyone in one branch from exercising the powers of anyone in another branch. Certainly, the Governor hopes for and expects fairness.

Thank you for emailing and if this office can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,


Cheryl Shuffield, Director

Constituent Services


NOW THIS...

AND THIS...

AND THIS.



















DEAR GOVERNOR KATHLEEN BABINEAUX BLANCO (White in English),

I'm writing in response to an email that I received from your Constituent Services Office. It said my "input and concerns [were] vital as [you] make critical decisions to move [your] state forward." I'm glad you feel that way because I'd like to offer my input and voice my concerns with the future of your state and your career.

I was lucky enough to visit New Orleans before it was physically and mentally destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. And because I was only there for a day at a time, I made most of my plans in and around Bourbon Street. To me, it was one of those places you can only understand if you go there. I'd heard it referred to as "another world." Initially, I thought they were talking about the party experience and live music on that magical street. But now years later, I'm realizing that it is a different world because that's the street of tolerance. One of the rare places where people of different skin colors can get along in your state. I also got a chance to see my beloved Philadelphia Eagles play the Saints in the SuperDome before it was turned into a "refugee camp." I had high hopes for New Orleans when I visited in 2003, and I had fun while there. After reflecting on my experiences in you state after Katrina, what seems to be the most memorable is the overt racism.

On the bio page on your website, it states that you believe "that Louisiana's challenges can only be met if the state strikes "a hopeful chord -- one that unites our people in lifting up all Louisiana families; one that cherishes our children, protects our environment, and creates new economic opportunity for all our citizens."

You said that in 2004. I question if you still believe that. I believe that in the case of the "Jena 6," you're not uniting anyone or uplifting any families. In fact, you're doing the exact opposite. The countless families that are separated and scattered throughout the US after the Katrina evacuation combined with the way you're allowing the current residents to be abused both physically and Constitutionally is a very disturbing look at the present and future of your state. It looks very grim when looking from the outside.

I understand the separation of the governmental branches in the Constitution. But if you say nothing, you condone the actions of Attorney General Charles Foti, Judge Frank Marullo, Officer Robert Evangelist, Attorney Franz Zibilich, City Councilwoman Shelley Midura, and Sheriff Harry Lee to name a few. The future of your state is at stake. America is watching to see what you learned from Katrina. Wouldn't you rather take a little political heat standing up for what's morally right than idly standing by watching this huge injustice.

I am not the only person appalled by what's going on in your state. This is a very challenging time in the history of our country, and we all need to be united. I'll probably never come to your state again, but that doesn't mean I don't care about the people of Louisiana. I hope I don't care more than you. Please do the right thing.

Concerned,


Jose Frayre

No comments:

Post a Comment