Sunday, July 1, 2007

mY dAY Of (rE)ActIOn!

As I've previously written, I had such high hopes for the first (of many) rallies/protests I plan to attend. And I use "attended" purposely, versus participated in. From the second I first made up my mind that I was going to DC to express my concern over the Military Commissions Act of 2006, and how this strategically-titled LAW is destroying our liberties, I felt a sense of involvement. I thought I was one of many people who had just had enough, and were going to the CAPITAL to have our peace heard. I had no idea how many people were actually going to be in attendance. But the anticipation and adrenaline running through me during the buildup, took over. And as many folks do, I set my expectations WAY too high.


And although I was initially let down, there are definitely some lessons to be learned from this experience. To give you an idea, here's the biggest group of people I could get in a photo.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Not THIS, by any means. But it was a few THOUSAND, and that alone gives you a feeling of heading in the right direction. That EXPERIENCE of being a part of something greater (the collective), has left me wanting more. Being there for a cause I truly believed in, and listening to the SPEAKERS, was like a re-fueling of my SPIRIT. I have to admit, my tanks of optimism, purpose, hope, amongst others have been pretty low recently. And it's not because of the PRICES! Being someone VERY interested in the betterment of society and realizing the POLITICS involved (IMO against) with just about everything that doesn't make a buck, it's enough for ME to start doing something about it. And I applaud everyone, of any era, who has ever rallied, protested, tagged a wall, or anything that made their cause real--and worth fighting for. Just like "The Troops," you get THAT level of respect. The troops are PROTECTING the Constitution, while you EXERCISE IT! Neither is easy; but I believe the original intent of THE DOCUMENT was to ensure FREEDOM for the American People, through inalienable rights. No matter what, you had these. We're getting utterly close to a point where you're not going to have a choice whether you want to participate.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
View of the Capitol from the rally (Upper Senate Park).
These two pictures represent to me how we don't get the FULL PICTURE. The branches getting ever so close, and parts where I could once see are gone. There goes my freelance philosophy again. And another cynical metaphor.
Not a lesson learned, but a question born was some of the DC license plates. They read TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.

"DMV encourages all DC residents to support DC's quest for full representation in the US Congress by purchasing and displaying 'Taxation without Representation' vehicle tags." Huh?

To me, this is comparable to a "red-blooded, All-American, Philadelphia Eagles Fan" sporting a #81 Cowboys Jersey to show how much he loves the Eagles. Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the license plates to read "NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION?" Please enlighten me...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
WW II Memorial
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In these times we're living in, I'm happy just to know a politician like DENNY K even EXISTS. This was, without a doubt, the highlight of the day. He made a very brief speech, but got the biggest support. To hear someone with ANY power say the things he says, let's me know there still is hope. And change can happen. I know DK is far from the favorite in this Presidential race, but even if he doesn't get elected he's still a VOICE that needs to be heard. Whoever gets elected, would be wise to appoint him to a high office within the administration. He'll be a vital, COMPETENT asset in the (overdue) clean up stages of the US Presidency. Although my support is with Kucinich, I still realize the potential and importance of others. Al Gore would make a good Secetary of Energy, wouldn't he? I think Gore is far more valuable OUTSIDE the Oval Office. There are A LOT of different Universal Healthcare Plans out there right now. I'd hate to see after the election, all this research disappear. I never did understand why John Edwards faded into oblivion after the 2004 race. These issues are not important to us just around election time; if you keep talking, we'll keep listening.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate." --Thomas Jefferson: Rights of British America, 1774. ME 1:209, Papers 1:134

"[Our] object is to secure self-government by the republicanism of our constitution, as well as by the spirit of the people; and to nourish and perpetuate that spirit. I am not among those who fear the people. They and not the rich are our dependence for continued freedom." --Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Kercheval, 1816. ME 15:39

"Under the law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the Author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance." --Thomas Jefferson: Legal Argument, 1770. FE 1:376

There's a lot to be said about Thomas Jefferson. And it seems like everyone has their favorite Jefferson quotes. They all have the same spirit and cause it seems. You can get a good feel of the nature of the guy. Based on the direction our current administration is taking us, it seems like his memorial is now a jail cell (as seen above.) And what he stands for is "off the streets," to KEEP US SAFE. Out of sight, out of mind.

In order for those of us that currently give a damn to be as effective as possible, it's our DUTY (like the troops) to seek justice and keep our government working FOR us. That's in addition to disseminating accurate information and let your fellow citizens know the consequences of their inaction. Being stuck in this paradigm of the small-but-knowing is tough, without a doubt. We have to accept and embrace this responsibility as our contribution to the struggle of American Freedom. It's imperative WE do this since the media does not want to honor their duty to exercise the First Amendment in favor of the people.

KEEP DOIN' WHAT YOU'RE DOING, UNLESS YOU'RE DOING NOTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment